NISO

 New International Student Orientation

The international organization I participated in this year, which I have participated in the most throughout my years at OU, is NISO. NISO stands for the New International Student Orientation, and through it, I mentor a diverse group of international students.

This year, my participation in the organizations had to be limited due to COVID-19. Many students were stuck in their home countries, with completely different time zones. This made scheduling zoom calls hard, worsening the lack of connection zoom calls tend to form. However, I still made meaningful connections with group members, especially my co-mentor who was also an international student.

My favorite part of this organization is meeting people completely different from me. Many NISO students are graduate students. It's very rare that two students in one group are from the same home country or have the same major.

Photo from NISO pre-COVID.


Comments

Popular Posts