Paper Airplanes Staff Retreat

Inspired by an International Staff

Earlier this semester, the international nonprofit I volunteer for held a staff retreat. We discussed ways to expand our impact, improve internal dynamics, and better serve the conflict-affected students we serve. 

Before the webinar started, I felt nervous to interact with very accomplished staff I hadn't ever met face to face. Since it started at 7 a.m. my time, I planned on rolling out of bed and sitting on the call with my camera off. Once the call started, however, I realized I would need to be a little more interactive, as the first icebreaker activity was a "show and tell" of a significant object in our room. I raced around my room in search of a meaningful object, simultaneously trying to make my bedhead go away, before they made it to "Catherine" in the alphabetical order of participants. 

After turning on my camera to show everyone a watercolor palette, I felt much more confident speaking in front of the other staff and sharing my thoughts. During breakout rooms, I had conversations with other staff members genuinely sharing ideas about how to improve the program. During the call, I was amazed at how open the organization was to growth and improvement. Leaders were willing to listen, take feedback, and make alterations. People on the call came from very diverse backgrounds, but no hearted arguments broke out, only honest discussions. I felt my voice and experience was valued, even as a college student without much experience.

I hope to bring the openness, dedication to improvement, and acceptance that I have found in the culture at Paper Airplanes to each of my other endeavors, especially as I interact with those from outside my culture.


Images from Paper Airplanes Staff Retreat Zoom

Comments

Popular Posts